Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Gloopy mess

I've been trying to eat a little healthier lately.  In lieu of a Diet Coke and a PB&J for breakfast I've been making myself a gloopy bowl of hot oatmeal with frozen blueberries in it each morning.  Unfortunately, it's throwing off my morning groove.  I have a carefully timed, and well tuned routine I go through each morning- right down to leaving my house 5 minutes before I have to be at work.  (It only takes me about 4 minutes to get there- I know, it's a rough commute!)  Anyway, my new found fiber and antioxidant rich breakfast takes exactly 5 minutes to cook- compared to the 60 seconds the PB&J required. This leaves a 4 minute deficit in my schedule.  I could probably absorb that into my morning somehow- maybe only shave one leg, skip flossing, or resist my email compulsion.  But that isn't the only problem.  A PB&J can be polished off while walking out to the car, or while operating the motor vehicle.  My purple stained oatmeal is not nearly so condusive to on-the-go consumption.  Why don't I just eat it before I leave the house you ask?  It's too hot.  Why don't I eat it while sitting at my desk at work?  It's too cold.  But in the car, precariously perched between the steering wheel and my chest, with one hand spooning, and the other hand maintaining balance...In the words of Goldilocks, well, It's just right!

4 comments:

  1. What isn't healthy about a PB&J????? Its got protein and grains especially if you eat it on wheat bread. Maybe instead you could try multigrain bread peanut butter and honey!That sounds healthy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your gloopy mess looks----absolutely healthy! But eating it on the go worries me. Do you take a toothbrush to work with you? Blueberries really do a number on one's teeth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe a trip through the blender and a straw through a coffee cup?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Like oatmeal, especially with cut up apples, oranges, coconut, almonds, cranberries and blueberries, YUM

    ReplyDelete